Re: [OM] 1st Astrophoto

Subject: Re: [OM] 1st Astrophoto
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:02:20 -0500
Nice shot but you have some star trails showing in the larger image.
You might want to open up well beyond f/8 to shorten your exposure time.
  The exposure of extended objects (sky, nebulae, ground, sea) will
respond as you expect by opening a stop.  Stars, however, are point
sources and do not respond to focal ratio like extended objects.  They
respond to physical aperture but not to focal ratio.  As long as you're
using the same lens opening up a stop or two or three will have the
expected effect since going to f/4, for example, will also increase the
physical aperture of the lens.  But f/4 on a 50mm lens will have much
less exposure effect on stars than f/4 on a 100mm lens since the
physical aperture on the 100mm lens will be twice that on a 50mm lens.

Just some oddities for astro work.  I suspect that whatever lens you're
using will perform just fine for this kind of work when it's wide open.
  But I don't know that for sure.

Chuck Norcutt