Re: [OM] 1st Astrophoto

Subject: Re: [OM] 1st Astrophoto
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:45:34 -0500
Nikon D800, Nikon 24-70/2.8.

I'd say the E-M5 did a pretty damn good job. Keep it up. And if you don't own
an LL Bean headlamp, proceed directly to the following link and order one. To
say that it's the bee's knees would be to horribly abuse understatement.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeText=head+lamp&init=1

Didn't realize how many variations they now have. I'm going to order one with
the red LEDs in addition to the white LEDs to preserve night vision. I have the
old standard-issue from years ago and can't get along without it. Plenty of
light to wander around with, and hands free to boot. (It's especially good when
filling the generator's gas tank at night. As your pour, the light shines right
down into the tank.)

I was shooting at ISO 100, but I suspect the camera's in-house noise reduction
for long exposures is good enough that I'll go for a higher ISO and shorter
exposure next time. If I can hold the thought, I'll probably experiment with
different ISOs and exposure times to see what gives me what I want. The only
constraint on all this is to maintain the deep blue color, I can't let it get
too dark--so I'm essentially working for a scene people who hang out up here
will recognize, but with stars and such in the scene.

Chuck Norcutt also recommends using the lens closer to wide open.

Now, all I need are some crisp, clear nights.

--Bob