Re: [OM] storm

Subject: Re: [OM] storm
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 09:38:38 -0800
Moose, Your photo, "N. Cascades", is of what we WA's call the S.
Cascades it being down near Mt Rainier. I don't mean to quibble as
obviously the WA Cascades anchor the north end of the range but the
distinction is important locally.  The NC might arbitrarily begin at the
Hwy 2 crossing and north to and a little beyond the border. Precip is
comparable to the Olympics, highest in the Lower 48. there is much more
"permanent" snow than all the rest of the Lower 48 combined. However it
is rapidly retreating and some glaciers I saw as a kid are no longer
there at all! The models show that more of the precip will fall as rain
and at a higher altitude. This is a serious problem for those who depend
on water stored as snow for summer irrigation.

 From an old slide which I may have previously posted.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/aerialShu-pan.jpg>

And here is a before and after. Rather after/before. First taken in the
'00's, the latter 30 yrs earlier.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/Luna%20compared.jpg>

Mike