Re: [OM] Statins, was Re: Reverse adapter - mount MFT lens on FT?

Subject: Re: [OM] Statins, was Re: Reverse adapter - mount MFT lens on FT?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 15:58:11 -0500
You could do much worse today than spending a bit of time with Dr.
Malcolm Kendrick's blog at <http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/>  You (and
especially your doctor) could do well with reading most everything you
find there but for you especially you'll want to scroll down a bit to
the entry of Sep 25, 2012 titled "Silence was the stern reply".

That post discusses the results of a 10 year long Norwegian study
covering 50,000 patients titled "Is the use of cholesterol in mortality
risk algorithms in clinical guidelines valid? Ten years prospective data
from the Norwegian HUNT 2 study"

Guess what?  It was not produced by drug company research.  Guess what?
  That means hardly anyone has ever heard of this study.  But guess
what?  It generally shows that the risk of death from all causes (not
just (CVD or IHD) is minimized by having high cholesterol.  Imagine
that.  Notice especially that the greatest risk for men or women or for
all cause mortality or just for CVD or IHD is on the side of low
cholesterol.  You don't want to be there.

ps: For those in the US who use mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter) the
study results are (in European fashion) expressed in units of mmol/L
(millimoles/Liter).  The results on the graphs range from <5 mmol/L to >
7 mmol/L.  5 mmol/L = 193 mg/dl, 7 mmol/L = 270 mg/dl.  The midpoint of
6 mmol/L = 232 mg/dl.

ps:  There are a lot more of these kinds of studies out there.  But they
don't have drug money behind them and just get no press

Chuck Norcutt