Re: [OM] IMG: Peugeot UO-8 Restoration Project

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Peugeot UO-8 Restoration Project
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:11:55 -0600
On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> > Great example of passion refusing to let artifacts of the past be thrown
> on
> > the junk heap progress.   Bill Barber
> >

>      Every so often I find a nice road bicycle in a thrift store.  Last
> year I found a 15-speed 1984 Nishiki that just needed new brake pads,
> tyres, inner tubes, and rim strips.  Paid $15 for it and it's worth over
> $1,200.

I found a Viscount lacking a seat on Craig's list for $40.  Only thing
other than the seat and some cleaning and lubing that I had to do was true
one wheel. This was dicey as the spokes are not stainless steel and one
spoke adjuster was pretty rusty.  At 56cm the bike is a little small for
me, but my son loves it, so I am happy.  I later found a chromoly Schwinn
frame that's about 64cm (from Schwinn's Taiwan period in the '80s) and
built that up with 700c Campy wheels, nice Shimano 105 crankset and Suntour
derailleurs.  That might be my ride for this year's Great Bike Ride Across
Iowa.

Bargains are getting harder to find though.  People are wising up to the
fact that because a bike is not a mountain bike, it is not spoiled goods.

Joel W.