Re: [OM] IMG: Peugeot UO-8 Restoration Project

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Peugeot UO-8 Restoration Project
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 13:17:09 -0700

> Currently working on a lovely Univega that fits me perfectly.

    I picked up one of those back in December in a Goodwill for $15.
Someone had stuck a phony "Paid For" sticker on it and it sat there for
three days.  A clerk pointed out that it had no name or address and was
probably put there by someone who wanted to buy it on the upcoming 50% sale
day.  He took that sticker off and said "It's all yours."  Two new tyres and
it was up and running.

    Interesting history behind Univega.  It was stated by an Iraqi immigrant
who came here on a freighter.  He was attending Columbia University and
working in an upscale Manhattan bike shop.  He came up with the idea of
having frames made in Italy, then bringing them over here for final fitting.
The frames were later made in Japan, and he later became a significant
figure in importing French and other bicycles into the US.  He was probably
responsible for the Motobecane I bought back in 1975.

Chris