Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]

Subject: Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 16:10:07 -0800
On 2/1/2013 3:52 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> AG writes:
> What is a HUGE no-no for me is when HDR is used and the midtones
> aren't mapped naturally. The highlights and shadows can be heavily
> compressed, but PLEASE don't screw up the midtones.
>
> Yes, yes, yes.  Easier said than done----tips?

Use HDR as a large animal vet uses a gun, only as a last resort.

Take two of your test shots. Choose the nicest one for outdoors and one that
looks good for indoors. Drop the indoor one
on top of the outdoor as a layer. Mask it for the indoor part only. Make a copy
of the Background layer, and leave the
Background layer untouched.

Adjust each layer separately, while keeping an eye on how they look together.
If the line between isn't hard, feather
the mask with the paint brush. Once done, and you realize that the shadow part
is too perfect, not dark enough, etc.,
adjust its opacity down to merge a little or a lot with the layer below. You
may need to use an inverted mask from the
top layer on the middle one, depending on what adjustments you have done to the
middle layer. (Much simplified from what
I often really do, ending up with many layers, before doing some combining and
deleting, but the same principles.)

This may sound complicated, but it becomes quite natural and quick, and avoids
the impossible, fixing messed up midtones.

One Horse Moose