Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]

Subject: Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 15:33:35 -0800
On 2/1/2013 1:58 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> So far,I'm not a fan of HDR. If too much DR is compressed into an on-screen
>> image or print, and especially if the sort
>> of subject and light is familiar, it seems my eyes/visual system recognize
>> the light as unnatural. As that's seldom the
>> effect I'm looking for, it's of little use to me, as yet.
> HDR in architectural photography is a given.

Well, not in mine. :-)

> But in landscape photography, I'm finding it more of a crutch than a real
> solution--except in some extreme circumstances.

Just so.

> Where I do find HDR helpful is when I want to have more shadow detail
> or highlight detail than what shadow/highlight recovery will give me.
> Using shadow recovery, I'll sometimes run into the digital noise
> problem Zones I-III if I've lifted them too much.

I quite agree. But if I have suitable bracketed exposures, I find it easier and
more natural looking to just drop the
lighter one in on the shadows. Not an option, I suppose, for those using LR and
other similar tools, but easy in PS

> The E-1 is really
> good about this as there is substantial dithering noise to assist the
> last two bits, but most digital cameras hand you your hat at that
> point.
>
> What is a HUGE no-no for me is when HDR is used and the midtones
> aren't mapped naturally.

I think this is why I dislike most HDRs I've seen. Still, I May have seen well
done ones, not labeled HDR, and liked them

> The highlights and shadows can be heavily compressed, but PLEASE don't screw
> up the midtones.

Well, ya gotta pull them up/down into the margins of the midtones, or you've
not changed anything visually.

I think that's one reason I like dropping in shadows as a layer. I can mask and
feather and adjust it it to my heart's
content, without ever touching the midtones.

Highlights are different, 'cause there are so many possible tonal values
available up there. One thing I've learned from
playing with lots of other people's images is that highly compressed highlights
and blown highlights can look just the
same. It's not until I get in to the histogram, and then try pulling them down,
that the truth becomes apparent.

M.D.R. Moose