[OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]

Subject: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:04:15 -0500 (EST)
 Come to think about the sidecar files, I had processed the files first

Moose writes:

>>>Almost certainly so.

Makes me wonder if PS with Merge to HDR would also then  be committed
to use the tonal adjustments as applied by ACR--would likely not make
sense to do so.  Digging around the PS help files ran into another
reason not to use the PSD files in lieu of the RAW  files directly:

"The Merge To HDR process uses the metadata in image files to determine
the exposure values of the images and the tonal response curve of the
camera that took the images. If the exposure values have been adjusted,
Photoshop sometimes cannot construct the correct tonal range (also
known as dynamic range) for the assembled HDR image.

When you open a Camera Raw file with any camera raw processing
application, such as Photoshop Camera Raw or Photoshop Lightroom, the
pixel data generated by the camera's sensor are adjusted using the
exposure metadata to represent the expected image. Merge To HDR also
uses the unaltered pixel data, but it only uses the exposure values to
generate overall tonal range for the HDR image.

If a Camera Raw file is saved to a JPEG or other non-Camera Raw file
format, the pixels are saved with the tonal adjustments applied by the
camera raw processing application, but the exposure metadata is not
changed. This means that Photoshop cannot assume that the exposure
metadata is valid for the pixels in the image. Photoshop guesses the
tonal range for the image based on the exposure metadata, but if the
pixel values differ significantly from the unaltered camera raw pixels,
the tonal range of the HDR file is sometimes incorrect.

This problem does not occur with JPEG files generated by the camera
when the image is taken, because the metadata written with the JPEG
file contains the correct exposure values for the pixels in the image."

I am not sure I totally understand the second to last paragraph and
perhaps it is me, but it gives me a headache. But, but,  I want to fine
tune the lens aberration correction in ACR, harumph.

Moose writes:
>>Nice test, but perhaps overly tough? I did say "most" shots, and my
experience
>>in the desert is that the patches of deep
>>shade are small ...snip.

Saved.  "C2" set for bracket in raw only so will have a backup and CVO
won't be mad  with lack of replacement yet  if get flashing channel in
zebra mode pre-shot.  Last desert outing had OM DDC cams only.

>>Easy to test; move, rename or erase an xml file, and open the image.

Yes, the perfect  2 minute experiment. Thanks.

The states of  confusion and madness lie down the road of complexity
for complexity's sake but I still  must  know the best way to do this,
Mike