[OM] Cyber Combat

Subject: [OM] Cyber Combat
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 07:56:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>     Speaking of disabling software, I turned on my laptop just now and
> discovered that RealPlayer
> has been uninstalled.  Not just that, but the backup copy of the install file
> that I saved in a
> software archive folder was also deleted.
>
>     Is this yet another intrusion by Microsoft, this time forcing you to use
> nothing but their
> media player?

     Turns out that some component of Windows 7 prevents the installation of
RealPlayer on the internal (C:) hard drive.  I found that the copy I had used
yesterday morning was installed on an external hard drive (E:) that I use for
data storage and software archiving.

     After numerous attempts, it turns out that RealPlayer does install on the
C: drive, but is then immediately deleted by whatever.  So, if I want to use it
at all I have to have the E: drive plugged in and run it from there as an
external application.

     At this point, I have had it up to here with Microsoft using my computers
as virtual combat zones.  That being the case, I'm open to listening to anyone
who can speak intelligently from first-hand knowledge about Linux.

Chris