Re: [OM] The Boys of Winter...

Subject: Re: [OM] The Boys of Winter...
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 06:44:06 -0800
Good morning, Chuck!

I think we are talking across each other, here.

I am a veteran of this race, having shot it for the last 5 years.  It's a short
season, running 3 to 5 weekends, depending on the ice conditions.

You are suggesting that I use zone focusing, which I know how to do. And you
are right, it would work.

My purpose was not to get good images (though that would be nice), but to test
the abilities of the EM-5 as compared to those of the E3, which I presently
use. And, with C-AF+TR set, the E-M5 does not do as well, in these
circumstances, as the E3 set to AF-C.

Because the riders run all over the roughly 80 foot wide track, chances are
that when they run through the pre-focused zone, the composition is not so
good.

I do a lot of work with rodeos. Zone focusing, at a rodeo, is a non-starter, as
the animals do not follow any pre-defined track.  So the focus tracking has to
work.  My E3 does not do wonderfully, compared to the top bodies from brands N
& C, but it does well enough. I only ask of my next camera, that it do as well
as my E3. But, focus tracking seems to be one area in the E-M5 that falls
short. I suspect it has to do with the use of contrast AF, rather than phase
detection AF, as employed by the E1, 3 & 5.

And please, do not take my comments as an attack on Oly.  I've shot Olympus,
since the days of the OM-1 and Pen-F.  And there is much to like in the E-M5.

I like Zuiko glass, the best of which is as good as any.  It's one of the main
reasons I shoot the E3 when I could easily have purchased something else.

I am looking to upgrade, from the 10mp sensor of the E3, and am hoping for
better high-ISO performance, which the E-M5 has in spades.  I think, however,
that I'll wait for the rumoured, coming this fall, pro-body.

Colour me disappointed.

David.