Re: [OM] The Boys of Winter...

Subject: Re: [OM] The Boys of Winter...
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:55:06 -0800
Good Evening, Chuck!

Thanks for the tips.  In my case, it is not practical to change too many
buttons, as the camera was only borrowed for a few hours, and the owner likes
it the way it is.

What you are suggesting is zone focusing - something I've used for years, when
I shot with my old Nikon F, OM-1 and assorted Leicas ... ie: manual focus only.

However, due to distance, I was nearly always at 300mm which reduces the DOF,
and because they spread quite widely it is not possible to pre-focus on a spot,
with much success.

I would pre-focus on a spot, and then try to pick up the bikes or quads as they
came into that zone, and then follow them until the composition was near right.
(A system I've used for thousands of successful images, taken over the last 3
years, at the same lake.)  But the camera nearly always lost the focus, and
then started to hunt wildly - meaning no chance for even a bad shot!

I tried both standard AF (dismal) and Continuous, with tracking (better, but
nowhere near the ability of my E3).  The E-M5 had trouble both acquiring and
holding the subjects, which I found disappointing.  The E3 (used, for this
application, in Continuous focus and with the 50~200 f2.8-3.5 SWD and 1.4x
converter) is not known for wonderful continuous tracking/focus, but it does a
heck of a better job than the E-M5 did today, I'm rather sad to say.

Don't get me wrong... the E-M5 is a heckuva camera for the money... which is
why I've been interested.  But in certain situations it seems that the contrast
focusing is no match for phase focusing (as found on the E1,3 & 5).  I suspect
that the E-M5 may do better with the  extra light from a 75/1.8 ... but I'd
have to (a) have one and (b) be a LOT closer.  (Now, if they made a 1.4x for
the MFT....)

The rumoured semi-pro/pro level is touted as being a bit bigger (size of the
original OM-1?) and so may be bit better with gloves... and be up to snuff on
tracking - at least to the E5's level.  If it is, I'm in!  But, for now, I
think I'll wait.

Meanwhile, I'll post one or two more, of the ones that did work, over the next
couple of days, for when they work, they work well!

David.