Re: [OM] Four images for the new year

Subject: Re: [OM] Four images for the new year
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:46:44 -0800
More belated musings, courtesy of Nathan reminding me.

#3, for me. These kind of shots are really difficult. And this is pretty good,
but for the bright flare. I know, 'cause
I keep trying. :-)   I was fascinated by the flare Phillipe sent along with the
lens, and wondered how hard it would be
to correct. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Loubser/the_claw.htm>

I rather like the results on the big, obvious flare on the trunk. Also, the
diminution of flare and return of detail
right around the sun isn't bad, but the middle isn't quite right.

Just some experiments, and of no use in a wet darkroom, but I thought they
might be interesting to you or others.

> "Soaking it up"
> http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/009/8/4/soaking_it_up_by_philosomatographer-d5qxfh0.jpg

What's higher than #1? Now that's well nigh perfect, subject, composition,
placement of focal plane, tonalities.

Given my endless, annoying obsession with bokeh, I couldn't resist a little
experiment to show what I mean by excellent,
vs. OK bokeh.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Loubser/soaking_it_up.htm>

The bokeh isn't bad, and fortunately, there are only a couple of specular
highlights to turn into bright edged disks.
And how, you might wonder, did a healthy male notice bokeh in this shot? Ah
well, I told you it is an obsession,
although well below that with the female figure in intensity, so I noticed it
not too many minutes after opening the
image. ;-)

Take a look especially at the legs of the man, right center.  The same effect
is all over the background, but
particularly clear there - and that's where I did most work. The lens has put a
darkish halo around the legs, which is,
quite unnaturally, darker at the edges than next to the leg.

Great bokeh would look much like my alternate version. I did a little, light
work on other parts, but it's not as good.

> "Watchful eye"
> http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/013/3/4/watchful_eye_by_philosomatographer-d5rcwv2.jpg

Man, don't you hate it when you get a good subject, and the weather and light
make it blah?
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Loubser/watchful_eye.htm>

Realistic, almost certainly not, but a lot more interesting, to my eye. One
could, if a little bit sissy, not go quite
so far. :-)

Might rise to #3, bumping The Claw down.

> "Water meets land" / "Giant wave"
> http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/008/f/e/giant_wave_by_philosomatographer-d5qvdaf.jpg

Damn fine image! Still #2, simply 'cause beautiful female body trumps wonderful
wave, perfectly caught. OK, I might
bring up the lower mid tones a little.

Knows His Priorities Moose