Re: [OM] OM-D -- very belated thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D -- very belated thoughts
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:35:04 -0700
Moose wrote:
 >The 12-50 in Macro mode is a fixed 43 mm. In real repro ratio terms, it is
 >1:2.8
 >(0.36x). Adjusted for sensor size, such that the whole image is displayed at
 >the
 >same size for both formats, that is, 4/3 is magnified twice as much as FF. The
 >effective repro ratio is then 1:1.38 (0.72x).

  I've never really seen the point of measuring "macro-ness" in terms of ratio
between
recording medium and size of subject -- absolute size of the area covered is all
that counts in the end, as far as I can tell, though scaling that relative to
the
negative size certainly gives a convenient number to work with.

  With digital, I guess you could also take number-of-pixels into account and
come up
with a pixels-per-millimeter measurement; so the old CP4500 I had covers 17mm
across
the frame, but that's 2272 pixels -- E-M5 + 12-50 at macro covers 48mm across
the
frame with 4608 pixels, which gives the Nikon the edge in this case, 133px/mm
-vs-
96px/mm. That said, the CP4500's working distance is very small, which is
either good
or bad depending on the subject -- but the super-tiny sensor on the coolpix
results in
lot of depth of field, which _is_ good.

 >The 12-50 in Macro mode is effectively more of a macro lens that the
 >traditional
 >OM Macros. Of course, it is actually 43 mm, so the working distance is
 >shorter.

  Interesting! I never had the OM 50/3.5, though, I had the vivitar 55/2.8,
which did
go to 1:1 (heh, there I go using exactly the thing I was decrying above) -- I've
tried the bellows lenses (38 and 20/3.5) but lighting is a big pain there and I
can
only get anywhere with very static subjects.

 >MikeG and I did an informal, but fairly careful, test of 12-50 vs. 50/2 OM
 >Macro
 >lens on one of his orchids. My conclusion is that they are essentially equal
 >in
 >IQ, at least in the central area. The subject didn't lend itself to edge
 >evaluation.

  And that is _very_ interesting, because the 50/2 is reputedly one of the
sharper
lenses out there. I should do some more testing myself!

  thanks for the info!

  -- dan