Re: [OM] TOPE Gallery Open Issues 01-10-13

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE Gallery Open Issues 01-10-13
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:13:02 -0600
> What do y'all think about smaller thumbs for each member on the Member
> Galleries first page. Right now there are four pages and one should
> easily suffice.

Not a good idea for a couple of reasons.

1. Smaller thumbnails become less meaningful. I had experimented with
different thumbnail sizes (universal sizing across all galleries for
uniformity and ease of maintenance) and the number of images per page.
It seems like thumbnails can never be big enough or enough on the
page. Yet, for those with slower connections, the page load speed is
the big issue. Striking a balance is one of those things which means
that in the end, nobody is happy.

2. Too many graphic objects on a single page hammers the server in not
very friendly ways. I've had my site turned off by the host for stuff
like that. One time Khen wrote one of his 30000 word reviews and I
didn't have it broken into enough pages, within an hour of the review
going "live" the site was down. These cms systems are pretty server
intensive. Not nearly as clean and easy as a straight HTML page.

Past experience with Gallery2 has shown me that once we get past 20
thumbnails on a page, the app can become a bit unruly. When multiple
people are actively surfing around on those pages, the performance
really drops. I'm carefully paying attention to the tiny thumbnails on
the right side of an image view. Given that they are so tiny, the
server doesn't seem to have too much of a problem hurling those out,
but I'm a little leary.

It would be different if I had a dedicated server (instead of shared)
and the configuration was optimized for the gallery. Once we get as
big as the LUG image gallery...

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx