Re: [OM] OM List Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM List Gallery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:35:44 -0800
On 1/7/2013 7:27 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> I suppose you all know that the route directions and voices aren't really
>> generated inside the little 'gps' box.  They actually come from a giant
>> call centre in India, where a large number of operatives push little model
>> cars around on a scale model of the world...
> What? You mean to tell me that Garmin outsourced those to India too?
> Couldn't they find enough unemployed people here in the States for
> that?
>
> "Hey HOMEBOY! Turn your F****** car 'round. You missed your turn....
> Yeah, that's right. Go down this dead end street where my buddies are
> located."

All old news. Our newish Magellan, Google Maps,and Apple Maps have eschewed
such attempts at control. They generally
adapt to whatever you do, without comment.

The new Google iPhone app was particularly quick to adapt in a test of guiding
me to Costco.

The Magellan will remind when you have gone way off track, and it can't see the
alternative - until you pass the half
way mark. Haven't tried the others in such a rural situation. That's what Mute
is for. :-)

GPS Moose