Re: [OM] [Leica] OT: I-pad user's experience welcome

Subject: Re: [OM] [Leica] OT: I-pad user's experience welcome
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:12:35 -0800
On 12/30/2012 8:38 AM, John D O'Regan wrote:
> Hmm, I have quite modest kit and excel loads in an instant - just checked it
> :-) - XP SP3/Office 2003

A couple of seconds for Office 97 the first time under Vista. I tried getting
out the stopwatch to be more precise, but
the second open was under a second. I didn't feel like rebooting.

The version I use is even older than yours. I suspect that speed has as much to
do with version as with OS, processor, etc.

In years past, I did things that pushed the limits of Excel, like building a
multi table normalized database. Silly
thing to do, but it convinced the CEO to let me build the app in a real
database system. In turn, that protected me from
my crazy boss.

The Excel spreadsheets the financial planning people built for annual planning
were deeper and more mysterious than
MYST, like impenetrable jungles.

Nowadays, I mostly do only photographic calculations, lists and the very
occasional, simple financial calculation. 97 is
more than enough for that. I've seen the interface for the latest incarnations
of Word and Excel; I think it would take
considerable relearning to use them.

Exspeed Moose