Re: [OM] Sad day

Subject: Re: [OM] Sad day
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 15:31:18 -0600
Tina wrote:
> I've never cared at all!  I have black Leicas, silver Leicas and a Panda
> Leica.  I have black and silver lenses.  I use any and all depending on
> what I need.  I never, ever even notice the color except when people ask me
> about my "old" 90/2.0 huge silver lens - one of my favorites.

Tina, this is all in fun. A little bit of history may be required.

Back in the "Vert and Toky" days (late '90s) there was discussion
about the merits of the various series of OM lenses. The oldest ones
are known as "Silvernosed" lenses and are almost always the original
"single-coated" design (which was actually multicoated, but just
didn't have the green and red reflections. Later lenses lack the
chrome trim of the originals and usually more the newer lens coatings.

It had gotten so bad that there were those who thought that the
single-coated lenses were EVIL and they spent vast sums of money
making sure that they only had the newest and best versions. I looked
at my own kit and had just ONE black-nosed lens and it was the shift
lens, but I ended up selling it in exchange for a scanner and a couple
other silver-nosed lenses.

I didn't care for the general tone of the list's attitude against the
older lenses so I took up battle stations and fought a long hard war
to get respectability back for the older lenses. It wasn't too hard,
as there were a couple of lenses which the older versions or
mid-production versions actually were better. The 100/2.8 is an
example. I became known as "AG Schnozz" because of my "Silver Nosed"
lenses. I fought a similar battle when the "OM-2S Program" fell out of
favor and I single-handedly saved the used market on them from total
collapse.

So, with that history, you can see my dilemma. I want the
latest/greatest OM series lenses, but in order to do so requires me to
have to have the black-nosed (no chrome) version. It doesn't bother me
from actually having and using them, but I've got a reputation to
uphold.

AG Schnozz

--
Ken Norton