[OM] IMG: Mam Mother and IT8 Targets

Subject: [OM] IMG: Mam Mother and IT8 Targets
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:36:34 -0500 (EST)
> > I got my IT8 targets in from Germany but I'm not sure how to use
them.

> Yeah team!!!!
>
> I'll let Moose respond first, as he's the king of profiles. I can
> assist, but I'm a hundred miles away from my scanner right now.

I'll await Profiling Moose's comments too.   I was puzzled why the
Kodachrome scans caused so much grief, then I thought I remembered
something about some scanners having trouble just with Kodachrome.
Relocated this review of a Plustech scanner on Luminous Landscape.

"There are two major issues with this: firstly, a number of scanners
have difficulty
accurately “seeing” Kodachrome film, such that custom profiling them
even with a
Kodachrome target will not necessarily produce a very high quality
profile."

big snip-----

 "The Nikon scanner’s relatively poor colour management performance with
Kodachrome is very consistent with this scanner’s reputation for having
difficulty
accurately scanning Kodachrome media. This is an interesting
confirmation that
the analytic approach taken here produces results consistent with other
findings
one can read in the literature.

  Custom profiles generally performed better than canned profiles, and
that is to be
expected because of variations between scanners even of the same model,
which
demonstrates value to SilverFast’s Auto-IT8 custom profiling solution.
The only
exception on the chart is for Plustek Fuji, where surprisingly, the
canned profile
(also made by LSI let us not forget) somewhat outperformed the custom
profile.
The difference between the two would hardly be noticeable in a print,
even before
post-scan adjustments in an external image editing program. The data
shows that
Copyright Mark D Segal 1 8 Final July 14, 2010
the Plustek scanner really needs and benefits from the custom profile
for handling
Kodachrome.

Finally, the Epson scanner did a really fine job with the Fuji custom
profile and
both Kodachrome profiles. In fact, it’s fair to say that on the whole
the Epson
scanner handled Kodachrome the best of all three in respect of colour
management outcomes."

Complete review if interested:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/scanners/plustek-pdf.shtml.

Overall the Nykon scanner was excellent/  superior for film as expected
but seemed to have trouble with color management of Kodachrome.  Why
profiling with some adjustments shouldn't be just the ticket
I don't know.  Perhaps the hard profiles of Vuescan will do a super
nice job  of getting them into the ballpark and Tina will be pleased.

Still profiling to do but no time yet, Mike