Re: [OM] IMG: Mam Mother and IT8 Targets

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mam Mother and IT8 Targets
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:19:09 -0600
> I got my IT8 targets in from Germany but I'm not sure how to use them.

Yeah team!!!!

I'll let Moose respond first, as he's the king of profiles. I can
assist, but I'm a hundred miles away from my scanner right now.

>  I've read the VueScan Bible and scanned in the target for Provia and set
> it as icc; however, I have 5 different targets for different films and
> there doesn't seem to be any way to load more than one icc file for
> Vuescan.  Anybody know?

Yes, you can have any number of profiles available.

One very nice aspect of VueScan is that you can scan the images and
save them as "raw" files. These have no profiles or any processing
performed on them. They're pretty much just the way the scanner
delivered the image. After the fact, you can go in and process the
images using the profiles. I really love this feature.

One thing that I've done that has proven to be quite successful is
that I purchased a printed target and I photographed that with my
digital cameras as well as with all of my films. I've built profiles
based on those images. I've had to do some tweaking (and am still not
done) with Ektar 100, but the Provia and Fuji scans have turned out
pretty well. What I've learned is that profiles are pretty specific to
lenses, lighting and exposure. If a person tends to overexpose their
print film by 2/3 a stop, the profile will be quite a bit different
than if it is exposed right at the recommended ISO (for mid-tone
exposure determination).

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx