Re: [OM] The Low Down on Down Low [was Tuesday Flowers]

Subject: Re: [OM] The Low Down on Down Low [was Tuesday Flowers]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 05:59:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > This last exercised showed me that the inverted column approach is not
> > the best overall, though it does work in some instances. Ground spikes
> > are nice, provided you're not working in deep sand or solid rock. The
> > Cullman arm is intriguing, and Manfrotto has a similar 131/3059
> > accessory. I'll have to see if they have one of these at the local
> > camera shop.
>
> The problem for me with those solutions is that it's more stuff to carry,
> adjust, etc. I use a simple strap, attached to a QR plate, to sling my
> tripod down below my right arm. It's out of the way, yet instantly
> accessible. Add more gear, and I'll not have it when I need it. The way
> the center post does double duty is wonderful - for me.

     I jury-rigged together this idea of using a monopod as an extendable boom
yesterday, and if it works out as well after I get that mounting clamp made
then I'll leave the ground spike and 234RC at home.  Looks like it will work
best with a tripod with a reversible column for getting right down to ground
level.

Chris