[OM] The Low Down on Down Low [was Tuesday Flowers]

Subject: [OM] The Low Down on Down Low [was Tuesday Flowers]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:38:08 -0500 (EST)
>>I've used Mike's Gitzo briefly. Wonderful tripod, beautifully made
and really
>>solid. But, the center post tilt design is
>>more awkward, it's much heavier, and much slower to set up and take
down - and
>>(through the end of the year) it costs
>>about three times as much.

>>I ran into a woman with a bunch of Nikon gear and this tripod at a
garden a
>>while ago. When I showed her what the center
>>column does, she was amazed - had had no idea.

Hah--not sure why would would buy that Gitzo if one didn't want to use
the macro feature. Gotta wonder
about some people. The extra mass of the Gitzo does help stabilize
things and the hook on the end of the center column that can be
cantilevered out quite a bit does help too even for macro. It works
reasonably well for the Tam 400/4 with 1.4 TC or the Celestron 750/6 on
OM or FF digital. Not sure the Manfrotto 190cxpro3
is up for that one. I did compromise in convenience/stability ratio
with the 4 legs version as it fits in a suitcase.  Glad Jeff K spotted
that issue.

No Free Lunch, Mike