Re: [OM] The Low Down on Down Low [was Tuesday Flowers]

Subject: Re: [OM] The Low Down on Down Low [was Tuesday Flowers]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:26:48 -0800
On 11/29/2012 5:53 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> .., I found John Shaw's wonderful books on Nature Photography.
>
> His books were the only ones I ever saw which gave specific, model-naming
> advice about tripods etc for getting down low, for which I was (and am) very
> grateful..

I have three of his books. The combination of clear, practical examples with
beautiful images is excellent.

> I think he recommended two, a Gitzo and a Slik.

I find his recommendation of specific equipment largely dated. There have been
significant improvements in materials and
design since he wrote.

I have (too) many tripods. The perfect one, from a stability standpoint, is a
monster Bogen, which gets used about once
a year, I'd guess.

The perfect one for me, with my gear, is generally the Manfrotto I just posted
about. The combination of speed,
flexibility and quite adequate stability in a tripod of such light weight mean
that I far more often actually have it
with me when I need it in the field.

My prior favorite was also CF, and perhaps a little sturdier, but with twist
leg locks, which I detest, because they
make set up and take down so slow. And it had three per leg, so it would fit in
my luggage, just too much hassle. It
stays home most of the time now, with geared head on it, for unhurried,
precision work.

Bi Pod Moose

> Especially in the days of OM cameras, the core principle was to get the
> camera as near to the top of the tripod as possible, in the pursuit of utter
> stability and image sharpness. I still subscribe to that principle; from what
> learned in Physics classes, that makes very good sense to me..

The real secret to vibration control, especially with OMs and aluminum tripods,
is a shot/bean/sand bag draped across
camera and lens.

> John Johns (for whom I once worked, and who enabled me into my first
> 35mm camera, a Practica FX with Zeiss Tessar

I've got one of those. Still use the lens occasionally, but not the camera.

> I still have the Olympus system gear for rack and pinion etc getting close to
> plants etc, but I never found this stable or (especially) firm enough for
> decent results. I generally have no problem moving the tripod in-toto
> physically to the exact distance I need.

Hmmm, I found the Bellows with 135/4.5 on a good tripod quite stable. And the
Focusing Rail and Stage better than a
couple of other geared solutions I've tried. As you say, a simple tripod in the
right place is still best.

> The only quibble I have with the Gitzo system is their method of locking the
> tubular sliding adjustment of the legs. Sometimes it is difficult to undo. The
> flip-style locks of other species are easier.

Did I mention my opinion of twist leg locks? ;-)

C. F. Moose