[OM] IMG: Thoughts About Infrastructure

Subject: [OM] IMG: Thoughts About Infrastructure
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:29:57 -0600
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
We hear a lot about infrastructure, "the grid", and other public and commercial
systems that need to be updated for future needs.  As we add more and more
electronic and convenience gadgets to our households, we sometimes forget how
dependent we are on electricity.  That becomes immediately apparent when the
power gets interrupted.

The fuse link shown below supplies electricity to 40 homes in a 3-block area.
When it blows because of a fallen limb or suicidal squirrel, it sounds exactly
like a 12-gauge shotgun.  The last failure occurred at night during a steady
rain, so the linemen had to deal with a treacherous situation in replacing the
fuse.  We have been promised that the fuse will be replaced with an automatic
recloser, but that was more than a year ago and the fuse still carries the
load.  I'm sure similar situations exist all over the country.

Critical fuse link:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Fuse+Assembly.jpg.html

Olympus E-1 with Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/3.5

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA