Re: [OM] OM. Customer Service $@*+!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM. Customer Service $@*+!!!
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:37:14 -0500
> Not to mention that the camera store has gone the way of the Dodo.
> None to be had around here; the last (Ritz) folded two weeks ago. The
> only local places to buy camera gear (and I use that term loosely) are
> Walmart and Best Buy and they both treat the camera departments like
> vestigial appendages.

When I was a young pup, I remember K-Mart having a pretty significant
camera business. I bought more than a couple items there.

As to the camera store going the way of the Dodo... Well, let's put it
this way. Here in central Iowa, there is just one camera store. Just
as there is just one Toyota dealership. There are many Toyotas on the
road and many Canons and Nikons in the hands of central Iowans. The
number of Ford, Chevy and Chrysler dealerships are 50 fold. But
Toyotas aren't just 2% of the cars on the road.

The camera store here might be a rarity, but EVERY time I'm in there,
the place is packed with customers. Being the only game in town has
worked for them, but they also have done an amazing job of constantly
adapting to the changing marketplace.

They haven't sold Olympus in decades.

AG

--