Re: [OM] A Post About Something; Was: A Post About Nothing

Subject: Re: [OM] A Post About Something; Was: A Post About Nothing
From: John Lind <j-a-lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 10:33:19 -0400
'Tis partly true - been doing much more available light in low light conditions
than I ever did before - and I was doing a good amount of pushing B/W and C-41
a number of years ago (along with pulling a couple high speed films). The RX100
allows doing RAW+JPEG and it's very fast. Been comparing the two files for
various low light shots at ISO 800 - 3200 and the in-camera noise reduction
done to create the JPEG is exceptional without losing texture detail or
blocking up shadow regions or clipping highlights. It's much better than I've
been able to do thus far in manipulating the RAW - I'm still a noob at it using
Sony's software (not the best) while waiting for other software to add the
RX100. The NEX-7 has been out for a year and had been incorporated into
actively supported software.

All that said, there are still situations and conditions in which use of flash
is desirable, but not the wimpy on-camera flip-up that's much too close to the
lens axis (one reason I prefer handle mount and for more formal shoots, a flash
bracket with camera rotator). The much improved higher ISO performance allows
use of more light absorbing modifiers than was possible before to soften,
bounce and disperse the light.

I keep the flash turned off in the RX100 so that it doesn't pop up
automagically and requires conscious decision to enable and use it (rather
rare).

John

Sent from my iPhone