Re: [OM] PPL: People in Firenze, color

Subject: Re: [OM] PPL: People in Firenze, color
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:53:04 -0700
On 9/8/2012 10:25 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> In my tribe, yes. You've described exactly why I shoot digital. <g>

And why I shoot with wide focal range zooms. "... while hiking if you hit upon
wildlife requiring a long lens at once
when the one sitting on your film body is a wide or a macro ..."

I've taken a LOT of shots that I consider great only because a twist of the
wrist could dramatically change the AOV.

In keeping with Nathan's recent posts from the Calif. coast, here's the full
frame of one from Bodega Bay.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Sonoma_Mendocino_Coast/Bodega_Bay&image=CRW_1183oofm.jpg>

Back in 2005, I was taking landscape shots of the coast from Bodega Head, when
this Turkey Vulture flew over my head
from behind. When I sensed he shadow from something above me, I had no time to
do more than turn the zoom ring while
raising the camera and push the go button. I took a couple more shots as it
flew away, but they aren't any good. This
was taken 26 seconds after a landscape shot, and a couple of seconds after the
lens was set much wider.

Not bad, I think, for a 6MP, consumer grade DSLR and 11x zoom. Crop a little
bit closer, and it's certainly a great deal
better than a crop to the same bird size from the most expensive, FF DSLR with
pro quality 24-70/2.8 zoom.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Sonoma_Mendocino_Coast/Bodega_Bay&image=CRW_1183croofm.jpg>

Old Saw: The camera and lens in your hand takes a better photograph than the
camera and lens on the shelf.

Phillipe & Moose's general corollary: With moving subjects, the lens on your
camera takes a better photograph than the
one in your bag.

Moose's specific, personal corollary: When walking with spouse and/or friends,
the lens on my camera most often takes a
better photograph of any subject than the one in my bag.

Logical Moose