Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong

Subject: Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:04:30 -0500
> I may have owned a slide rule once.  I could do multiplication and
> division with it, but I only trusted it if I already knew the answer.
> Advanced users told me that feeling never really went away.

I came along in the digital calculator age, but actually learned how
to use slide rules long before I turned 10. Slide rules have worked
well for me because I do most of my calculations in my head, but have
the inability to store more than just a small handful of data points
there. The slide rule is one of those devices that lets me keep most
of the numerical calculations within the head and it handles the rest.
It's weird, but I get along with them because they are an analog
representation of an analog reality.

However, to Joel's point. Always confirm your calculations. Either by
doing it a second time or through estimating.

When calculating square roots or angles, I really prefer the slide
rule because it takes the theoretical and makes it visual. It's a
shame that I haven't used or owned a slide rule in years. My TI-35+ is
going on 30 years old, but it still works great and sits right next to
my computer at work. DD#2 needed a scientific calculator for a class
at school. Her brand new TI is exactly like mine, just in a different
case.

AG

--
Ken Norton