Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong

Subject: Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:11:25 -0500
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012, at 02:33 PM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
> But can you do long division by "chunking"?
> (This is how my nephews are taught in English schools nowadays - google
> it...)
>
> 'You added one here so you must add one here' Jez

I think it is part of a teaching strategy known here as "connected
math." My daughter learned a lot of her arithmetic in this fashion.  It
also utilizes narratives ("story problems").  I was impressed that it
was actually presenting math as logical exercise. It has been
distressing to traditional math professors at the university because
students arrive without actually knowing what the things they have
learned are called.  "Trigonometry, huh?"  "You know -- sine, cosine,
tangent."  "Oh yeah, we learned that in "pre-calc."

Joel W.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...