Re: [OM] OM-D & lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D & lenses
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:00:59 +0200
Hi Jim, Chuck, Lawrence and all,

From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>Lenses! What lenses are you folks using with your OM-D and what are your

>impressions of them, IQ, build quality, and handling in particular.

I'm using the m4/3 lenses I had for the GF1, all Panasonic: 14/2.5 and
Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8. I no longer own the 20/1.7, since it became sort-of
redundant with the X100... plus a new toy just arrived today! The mighty
12-35/2.8 ;-)

More detailed impressions:

-The 14/2.5 is *extremely* tiny, will fit any pocket when otherwise
carrying a long lens only, just in case you need a more "normal" field of
view! I find its performance quite adequate, if not as stellar as the
20mm... It does lose sharpness towards the corners, within reason. There is
some amount of lateral-CA which gets automatically corrected on Panasonic
bodies; but since the OM-D really "asks" for shooting RAW, it's hardly an
issue. Operation is very silent (although the iris sounds a bit) and AF is
reasonably fast. Due to diminutive size and slow "gearing", MF is
unconvenient but feasible. Previously, my only 75-degree lens in digital
was the Skopar 21mm on the M8, but that's only F4 and I prefer fast(ish)
lenses :-(

-The 20/1.7, as already mentioned, performs superbly! Moderate coma wide
open, as expected, but things get sorted out from about f/2.5. This uses
"group focusing" (all elements move back and forth in a single unit) so AF
is not that fast, and somewhat noisy. I won't use a step-up ring with it,
or any filter with a _broad_ mount... Otherwise looks very much like a 14
on steroids :-) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/5957573459/>

-The 45/2.8, Leica-branded, it's my most used m4/3 lens... at least, so far
;-) Despite having a plastic barrel, seems very well built and includes a
pretty nice rectangular hood -- but NON-reversible. It shares the same
filter size (46mm) of the previous lenses. This one includes Optical
Stabilization for Panny bodies. Optically superb, with negligible
lateral-CA on (uncorercted) Oly bodies. Good sharpness and contrast all the
way. I'd describe its bokeh as "neutral" -- could get busy sometimes :-(
Internal Focus, not really noisy but _sometimes_ can be very slow...
there's a switch for limiting its focus travel, in case you don't need the
full macro (1:1) capabilities. On the other hand, MF is surprisingly nice,
with a properly sized ring of *extremely* smooth operation... if only a bit
too much sensitive! But you can go from unexpectedly fast travel to maximum
accuracy -- by far and large the best focus-by-wire I've ever tried.

-The 12-35/2.8 has been in my hands for six hours only... but I already
LOVE it! It's simply THE zoom lens I've been waiting for: versatile, fast,
compact and with high picture quality! No other zoom did satisfy all these
requirements to me. Current alternatives in APS-C format are usually *much*
heavier, larger and more expensive. On the OM-D looks like a "powerful"
lens, but handles just fine. Supplied with petal hood, reversible and
easily fitted -- this lens grows longer towards the tele setting, with a
non-rotating filter thread (58mm). Build and controls feel very nice,
although that dpreview quote about the smoothness of the zoom ring made me
think about the sheer mechanical perfection of "classic" OM zooms
(35-70/3.6...) -- which obviously HASN'T. Anyway, handling is pretty good,
with the actual FL being accurately shown on the screen... although it
never reads 34mm, going from 33 straight to 35 (?). Built-in IS for the
Panasonic bodies seems more effective than that on the Macro-Elmarit. The
knurled _metal_ focus ring (which gets easily dirty!) isn't as smooth or
sensitive as the Macro, but anyway provides a relatively fast and very
accurate MF action. By the way, AF is *significantly* faster than my other
m4/3 lenses and pretty silent... iris action is surprisingly loud, though.
Close focusing up to 0.25m (10") at any FL without cumbersome 'macro'
settings. Picture quality is excellent, very contrasty even wide open at
the long end (typical failure of this kind of lens). At shorter focal
lengths there's definitely some amount of lateral-CA ("easily" corrected
like in the 14mm) but otherwise no noticeable aberrations show up -- once
the CA is corrected, superb corner to corner quality. Great tool!

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>How does the Panny work on the E-M5 with its in-body IS?  Does the lens

>itself require the IS to be turned off?

As previously posted, it's best to turn off one of the IS systems, as both
enabled will cancel each other. The in-body IS will be more effective,
though ;-)

>I assume that focal length is

>being reported and utilized by the E-M5?

Correct. This is independent from the 'manual' setting, which is used for
adapted lenses only but, alas, won't appear on EXIF data. BTW, the last
manual setting remains after using dedicated lenses, whenever an adapted
lens is fitted again. In this regard, Voigtländer's f0.95 lenses are
considered *adapted* lenses -- no electronic contacts at the mount! IS with
adapted lenses is available for stills only, not video.

From: Lawrence Plummer <plummerl@xxxxxxx>

>I have the FN1 button assigned to the MF assist feature.

>This will magnify a portion of the frame from 5x to 14x (repetitive button
push)

>and when you push to shoot, the view returns to normal.

I have configured Fn2 for that matter -- with any of the dials selecting
magnification. But there's an option for _not_ returning to normal view
upon half-press (it can be done with a longer pressure on Fn), necessary
(together with another obscure option) in order to enable IS during
focusing -- essential for MF lenses!

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Do you find the light amplification of

>the EVF to be sufficient that you can focus properly with an MF lens

>already closed down to taking aperture... assuming modestly bright light

No problem at all. As long as the exposure time with the selected aperture
is shorter than about 1 sec. @ ISO 200 (or equivalent), LiveView will boost
brightness level up to the same value, accurately representing final
exposure. There's an option for even further boost in *very* dim light, at
the cost of losing exact exposure compensation preview.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)