Re: [OM] Back into the OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Back into the OM System
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 14:21:22 -0700
On 8/11/2012 7:28 AM, Carlos J. Santisteban wrote:
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> ? When using a tripod, set [Image Stabilizer] to [OFF].
> I however prefer to let it ON, because it helps a lot with MF on a long
> tele -- yes, even on a tripod the rattle at high magnification was awful on
> the GF1.

I haven't tried an MF lens longer than 200 mm, and that was fine to focus on a
tripod. Don' know nothin' 'bout no GF1. :-)

>> The one design flaw for me is that the QR plate so far to the left makes
>> putting on a hand grip problematic. It's bound to slip in front or behind
>> the body. The RRS bottom plate, although otherwise overkill to my mind,
>> would be helpful if it had a strap lug on the right end, but doesn't appear
>> to.
>>

>> ???

I like to use hand straps on (D)SLRs. For me, they make a much bigger
difference to secure hand holding than any small
differences in the camera grip. I can carry even the 5D for long periods simply
in my hand, secure, and without pain or
cramping, without neck strap, with such a hand grip strap.

Here's the one on the 60D.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=IMG_0488oof30.jpg>

The Kirk 60D plate has a strap lug for the hand strap.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=IMG_0489oof30.jpg>

The small QR plate I'm using on the E-M5, to clear both screen and battery
door, has a strap lug, but it is far from the
grip/shutter release end of the camera. I'm afraid the relatively thin,
softish, strap material I've been using will not
stay in place along the long bottom of the camera, and will slip in front of or
behind the camera body. The way the end
of the body is nicely rounded virtually assures this will happen.

The RRS plate for the E-M5, is rather larger (and more expensive) than
otherwise necessary, to my mind.
<http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BOEM5&type=0&eq=&desc=BOEM5%3a-Plate-for-OM-D-E-M5>

I can see the advantage of a flat bottom. And I can see how it could easily
have a strap lug on the shutter release end,
which would be ideal for hand strap. Instead, it has some sort of mounting
point for who knows what.

I've emailed RRS, asking about this.

>> No, that's because they use a thin margin around the actual image area for
>> sensors that are covered, to set base points.
>
> OK, that makes sense. Still, I'd love to see the actually implemented
> algorithm... there are so many...

Dpreview used to have a series of tutorials, one of which covered this, but
they seem to have disappeared.

>> I have both NR and Sharpening set down one notch.
> Mine has NR = Off; Sharpening went to -2, now is at -1. But even at
> standard settings, that coarse sharpening was actually "hiding" fine detail
> :-(
>

>> It seems to me that detail/sharpness is close to the ORFs.
>
> It may depend on which software is used for demosaicing / RAW conversion...
>

>> It's certainly easier to maximize in post from Raw, but the Large/Fine
> JPEGs are good.
>

> I have never trusted the 'Fine' JPEG compression on any of my cameras... my
> E-M5 is set at 'Normal'.

Any particular reason for that? The way JPEG compression works, too much really
loses detail. On the 60D, I shoot Raw
plus a downsized JPEG, but with Fine setting. I'll likely drop JPEG size on the
E-M5, too, once I learn enough.

> But I may need to experiment, since this model has
> (deeply buried inside its extremely confugurable interface) no less than
> FOUR compression levels! However, dpreview.com says the 'SuperFine' setting
> is of little-to-no advantage.

I agree with them. I tried, but just didn't see any difference between SF and F
settings.

>> I certainly wouldn't want it to be any larger or heavier just to impress
>> with apparent build quality.
> Neither do I. But the GF1, which _is_ lighter, seems better built to me.
> The feel of the small buttons (likely to be conditioned by the sealing) may
> be the reason, though.

Well, the body seems sturdy enough, and the buttons feel fine to me.

>> The combo wired/wireless release just came. Haven't even tried
> I suppose I'll end up buying one of those...

I really prefer them to wired releases, much more versatile. Both kinds that
I've uses also have a button on the
receiver for non-wireless release.

> and I need some extra batteries... oh dear!

As far as I can tell, the third party battery people haven't as yet cracked
whatever coding Oly uses in the battery data
connections. So for now, third party batteries can't be charged in the Oly
charger, and possibly the reverse. It's also
unclear whether they will correctly show remaining charge in the camera. Some
users reviews say yes, others, no.

There is a lot of conflicting info about this in seller listings and user
comments. Yet it appears all the current
batteries and chargers come out of the same factory. Oh, well, at least mine
charge up and run the camera. :-)

It will all get worked out in the long run, as with other Oly batteries. As we
are traveling to Canada for 8 days, then
in a week or two to New England for a month, I felt I would deal with having
two chargers for the peace of mind.

It has been the case for some time that genuine Oly replacement batteries were
not even available in No. America, even
if one wanted to pay the price, with everybody showing out of stock, including
the OlyAmerica web site.

> From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> The sound comes from the IS mechanism. From what I read, even if you don't
>> use IS, it is still there to hold the sensor 'floating' on the right spot.
> Still, I'm amazed at the relative loudness if the system. Are other
> cameras' IBIS as noisy? (I never had such device before)

No one else as yet has 5 axis IBIS.

  Details Details Moose