Re: [OM] Back into the OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Back into the OM System
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:08:26 +0200
Hi Chuck, Ken and all,

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Thanks for the great feedback.  We'll see how Moose's compares.

You're most welcome. Now that I'm back at home, I realize I forgot a few
things:

+If you use the EVF instead of the rear screen, after taking a picture it
plays back the result in it for a (configurable) moment, without taking the
camera off the eye for 'chimping'. But if you keep pressing (or
half-pressing) the shutter release, it will stay on LiveView, delaying the
preview until you fully release the button -- just in case another photo
ocassion is expected soon... Great!

+I thought there was no way for playing back the images (or setting the
menus) using the EVF instead of the rear screen, but there is -- just
disable the EVF auto-switch (?)

+Offset tripod mount means... the battery may be replaced without removing
my Arca-Swiss type QR plate. The SD card slot is located at one side.

-It has some kind of FAN inside... my home is usually *very* silent so I
can hear clearly when the camera is "on" :-( It slows down a lot when in
video mode, but still (barely) audible.

>I liked the 135mm 1:1 crop.  Looks good.

Definitely has a very weak AA filter… I have experienced some moire in this
picture of Yours Truly, on the shirt's fabric -- click on the 'Original
size' link for a better view <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/7726844448/sizes/l/> …and this was
taken with the highly criticized Panasonic 14mm F2.5!

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>Does anybody know if th OM-D is using a standard 3-color matrix are is

>it still two different greens requiring a four-pixel merge?

I don't have the required formal knowledge neither empirical evidence, but
I'm under the impression that the output pixels from the demosaicing
algorithm (which one? Wikipedia would say) do not necessarily match the
sensor photodiodes -- that should be the reason for the difference between
the 'effective pixels' and 'sensor photo detectors' figures, no? I
_believe_ that the values from each channel detectors are interpolated thru
the whole image area, in order to pick the values for each desired output
pixel, no matter its location.

I'd love to get some light (pun intended) on this…

>It appears that we really don't

>need to be too concerned with ETTR with this camera in order to keep

>the shadows from getting grungy.

According to my experience, the ESP does a good work. I had to increase
exposure on some severe backlighting, but otherwise seems very accurate --
unlike the GF1, which goes really dark unless being very careful  about
where to lock the exposure.

>The OM-D looks to me like it has enough edges to it to get a

>good grip.

Looks decent, although I haven't used it with a big lens for a *long* time.
Thanks to the IBIS, I was able to shoot *handheld* my 400mm F4.5 (Canon FD,
surprisingly small and lightweight for its kind) *indoors* at 1/40… had to
crank up the ISO to 6400, but results seem quite useable -- and I forgot to
set correctly the focal length for the IS, it was set at 180mm: <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/7621723570/sizes/l/>

>> alas, no electronic first

>> curtain :-(

>And that really surprises me. Especially considering that the sensor

>is made by Sony.

Anyway, the shutter lag seems faster than the GF1, and well within the best
DSLRs. So far, my only camera with this feature is the Fuji X100 -- once it
has focused *and* metered, shutter lag is ZERO!

>> +LiveBulb & LiveTime are not as "gimmick" as they might seem...

<snip>

>That is another very fascinating feature. It's basically like the OTF

>metering of the OM system for time-exposures.

…sadly lost with digital sensors :-(  It's not continuously updated, and
there's a limit of the number of updates (9-23) depending on ISO. You may
set an update interval or, in case of LiveTime, request an update with a
(careful!) half-press. There are counters on the screen for the elapsed
time and number of updates made (and remaining). Anyway, it's a welcome
feature.

Now that we're talking about long exposures… during the noise-reduction
second "dark" exposure, unlike the GF1 and others, the rear screen remains
BLACK with a discrete orange icon at the corner -- those bright _white_
screens elsewhere are extremely unpleasant in the middle of a dark night!
(The M8 does have a black screen for this, too)

>This surprises me since Olympus is the class leader in making their

>JPEG files sing, dance and win gold medals.

They're certainly gorgeous about colour and tones -- only if maximum
detail/sharpness is needed the issue arises, mostly from a coarse
sharpening algorithm.

>> -Build quality doesn't feel as good as I'd expect for this price...

<snip>

>I'm wondering what that could be. It's been highly praised, I thought.

>Maybe it is the combination of light-weight with the plastic bits.

The camera doesn't feel light -- 425 gr (nearly 1 lb) with battery on such
a compact body, it feels rather _dense_. Most of this impression comes from
the dull-plastic shutter release (which turns with the front dial) and the
flimsy, spongy feel of the nearby Fn2/Video buttons.

Speaking of the shutter release, I miss the thread for the remote… :-(

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)