Re: [OM] Back into the OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Back into the OM System
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 15:35:33 -0500
Welcome back to the zoo, Carlos.

> +Excellent sharpness and detail... from RAW files (I use ACR 6.7).

Does anybody know if th OM-D is using a standard 3-color matrix are is
it still two different greens requiring a four-pixel merge? (A
four-pixel merge results in softer files, which is why Olympus has
traditionally been a little spongier than other equivalent pixel-count
cameras.

> +Decent High ISO performance, basically on par with the Fuji X100.

Definitely! I am not seeing anything bad about the high ISO
performance. It also looks to me that the shadows don't go wonky like
they did with the Panasonic sensors. It appears that we really don't
need to be too concerned with ETTR with this camera in order to keep
the shadows from getting grungy.

> +Nice ergonomics, despite feeling a bit small in the hand -- consequence of
> being almost a scaled-down classic OM.

I almost bought a Panasonic G3. However, with a big lens, it just
didn't feel right. Too much like trying to hold onto a wet bar of
soap. The OM-D looks to me like it has enough edges to it to get a
good grip.

> +Highly effective in-body Image Stabilizer... which is also avaliable for
> adapted lenses, even during preview -- helps focusing those lenses a lot!

This to me is the killer feature. It's the only thing that has me
interested in the camera.

> +Reasonably quiet shutter with very little lag -- alas, no electronic first
> curtain :-(

And that really surprises me. Especially considering that the sensor
is made by Sony. That should have been an option ticked in the
fabrication order form.

> +LiveBulb & LiveTime are not as "gimmick" as they might seem... despite
> their limitations, for us astrophotographers they can save a lot of time
> and battery!

That is another very fascinating feature. It's basically like the OTF
metering of the OM system for time-exposures.

> +Extremely configurable interface...

Yes!

> -Low quality JPEG output, at least on the sharpness/detail side

This surprises me since Olympus is the class leader in making their
JPEG files sing, dance and win gold medals.

> -Build quality doesn't feel as good as I'd expect for this price... I know
> the M8 and X100 have set a very high treshould to me, but even the GF1
> looks better.

I'm wondering what that could be. It's been highly praised, I thought.
Maybe it is the combination of light-weight with the plastic bits.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx