Re: [OM] [OT] Home automation/security questions

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Home automation/security questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:14:35 -0400
If you used the smartlinc and associated wall switches or outlets I
think you could easily replicate what you have with your present timers.
  You might still have to change some of the event timing once/month as
you do now but you could do it quickly and easily from your computer
screen and not have to go around manually resetting each individual
timer (and, if they're electronic getting out the user's manual for
each) :-)

I have a Timex electronic timer whose saving grace is that it has a
battery backup that lasts long enough to carry it through a very long
power outage.  However, its user interface is so convoluted it's
impossible for me even to change the time of day (let alone programmed
events) without re-reading the user manual. :-(

Just like cheap digital cameras the drive for low cost devices means the
elimination of dedicated buttons and switches in favor of things buried
in menus or switches and buttons whose functions change with numerous
modes.  Arrgh!

Chuck Norcutt