Re: [OM] Getting closer (Digital -> Adox CHS mapping)

Subject: Re: [OM] Getting closer (Digital -> Adox CHS mapping)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:31:49 +0200
On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 09:21 -0500, Ken Norton wrote:
> Dawid,
>
> I am impressed. I agree that you are getting closer. I've tried one
> roll of Efke, but royally screwed up the processing. Hey, it was a
> personal experiment, OK?

Thanks Ken :-) If i significantly improve my results, I'll share them
here again...

> > OMG, the E-system cameras and lenses are ugly and bulky compared to the
> > OMs. But the results from those lenses are worth it - they really are
> > the best I've ever used save for one aspect: Light Transmission / Flare
> > resistance (and how could they be, with like 23 glass elements inside).
>
> That surprised me, Dawid. I've been very impressed with the flare
> resistance of these lense.

Hmm, perhaps "flare" is too generic - I am talking about retention of
contrast and suppression of secondary reflections with bright point
light light sources in the image. And specifically the 35-100/2.0.

Even the best coatings in the world can't make a 23-element lens
transmit light better than a good six- or ten-element lens. It's not a
major problem, I'm merely stating that this is the single factor in
which the 35-100 is not the absolute *best* lens in all regards that I
have ever used.

The performance level is just ridiculous - it's almost wrong for a lens
to be this good.

With regards to contrast, the SHG lenses definitely have an
exceptionally "gentle" manner about them. This is a great aspect (and
also, I think, necessary to help deal with the poor dynamic range of
four thirds cameras). I was not complaining about that at all, I'll take
a gentle lens over a super-contrasty one any day.

The resolution, field-flatness, even illumination... is not just good,
it's *brutal*. Words fail me. Nothing is supposed to perform like this
at f/2.0 - never mind a zoom lens. I'm in a bit of shock actually.

(un)fortunately I'm nowhere near forming the kind of instinctive,
emotional connection with this gear than what I have with my
ergonomically-superior manual cameras (including what I had with the
OMs, of course). But that's OK. It's just another tool in the box, and I
have plenty nice old cameras that I continue to use for compactness, and
the wonderful rendering and process of monochrome film.

What I am happy with, is that - when my monochrome-tailored vision sees
an image, and I have the DSLR with me, I have a path to rendering the
image that quite satisfies me with reference to what monochrome film
would have given me. I've partially tamed the tool for my needs.

I'm going to be scanning a lot of OM work soon, once this darn flu
passes (it's Winter here, and I finally caught it... :-(

regards,
Dawid