Re: [OM] [OT] Mountain Lion of OSX

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Mountain Lion of OSX
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:11:32 +0200
I have been a devoted Apple / Mac OS X user since the 10.0 days. Two
months ago, I finally had enough of Apple's nonsense, and switched to
Arch Linux and the GNOME 3 shell. It's superior in all technical and
aesthetical measures to my tastes, and I am not looking back.

Everything "just works" (TM) even better than what it did in OS X, only
it's free and open source, much more choice, much more lightweight
(unbelievable performance), I am in love. You just need to not be afraid
to read a bit about how things work, and since it's so modular, you
choose which system components you want.

The only missing thing is support from Lightroom or Aperture (they are
better at categorising and searching across large image libraries) but
RawTherapee is much better at image processing (detail / DR extraction)
IMHO.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I really started to get fed-up with
Apple after they clearly stopped innovating at the software level
(spending more time introducing stupid skeuomorphisms like calendar
software that mimic leather-bound books, and stripping out many useful
software development features from the OS that used to be standard).
They have become an evil, oppressive, greedy, empire, and I voted with
my wallet. There is very little to be excited about in OS X (as an
operating system) over the past five years, whereas Linux is innovating
in leaps and bounds, and has finally become as pretty, friendly and
usable (and even there, you have several choices) as Mac OS X in its
heyday, before the current crippled version where even scroll bars have
been stripped out just because their stupid locked-down mobile OS did it
so.

It's sad that this whole other world of cool software will just pass the
oblivious masses by, while Apple rakes in the billions - not because
they make the best hardware or software, but because of clever
marketing/branding. REALLY clever branding. Oh well, so does / did
Olympus cameras.

The Olympus aficionado would do well to also look at the alternatives to
the mainstream: as they do with cameras - so too with their computing
software.

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/
http://www.archlinux.org/

Dawid