[OM] Nathan's PAD 28/7/2012: misery

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/7/2012: misery
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 22:59:24 -0400 (EDT)
Wet, saddle sore Nathan writes:
Bicycle touring can be wonderful (as my tour of Jutland was the first 3
days)
but it can also be miserable as it was yesterday: rain, both of us
getting a
flat within 10 km of each other, saddle sores on my part that
ultimately forced
us to cycle to the nearest big town and return to Aarhus by train. Here
is
Lars, changing the inner tube on a rainy road:

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=1993210002&k=jXWz64k&lb=1&s=O

Ugh, but I can empathize.  It reminds me of horseback riding tour in
Provence with Marnie.  One afternoon there was a deluge. It persisted
for hours on end.  We had brought some rain gear but
gear effective in those extreme  conditions is waay too bulky.  The
only  thing dry was my camera.  The horses had to go from point A to
point B so there was no
alternative but to slog it out hour after hour walking.  The footing
was terrible so little trotting and no canters or gallops. Thus the
trip took forever.  Marnie had worn  full seat blue breeches.  After we
finally arrived,
I observed Marnie may have developed  at first glance  a totally
unknown medical condition, but on closer inspection was dye transfer
from her breeches.  It persisted for a week.
We had a  sublime evening at a  rustic farmhouse (friend of the
outfitters) with dinner consisting of a saffron seafood stew, that I
can still vividly remember.

Dry Cam only, Mike