Re: [OM] Rights to Olympic Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Rights to Olympic Photos
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 06:58:34 +0100
Tina

I agree.  The Olympics brand has had some pretty bad press in the UK.  And it
has recently been made worse by the rumour that the sponsors came up with a
very small proportion of the cost of the Olympics (e.g. less than £1Bn).  And
the enforcement of the brand protection has been over-zealously enforced, it
would seem (although these are stories in newspapers which, even in the UK, can
be based on little fact).

[I have watched James West present a couple of times, at the annual briefing in
London; he seems like a good chap.]

The Olympics Games might be a disaster for the UK, given the gross cost (that
is still not clearly laid out), but I have to say that the opening ceremony on
Friday night was enough to restore some of my enthusiasm -- for the sports and
the people making it all happen, at least.   The strange structure of the IOC,
which is probably riddled with corruption, and the "Olympic Contract" with the
host nation, still threaten to cause apathy.

And it does irritate me that there were 4 BBC channels devoted to the blimmin'
Games last night!  So we watched a DVD: Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts in Larry
Crowne :-)

Chris