[OM] Using VS exposure lock for "minimum exposure black"

Subject: [OM] Using VS exposure lock for "minimum exposure black"
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:39:07 -0500
I ran across this interesting technique:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157608204093047/

I learned a lot of BW practices when I had a darkroom, many related to
the Zone System.  One idea was to figure out your personal ISO and
development times by testing, including "minimum exposure black," which
assumes that the actual minimum true black in your exposure should equal
the exposure required to make black through the film base.  This
person's technique with Vuescan reminds me of that sort of thing.

What I find from it is that with a number of the films I have developed,
I have the headroom to extend development longer in order to bring up
the shadows more.  This is something for which I have been trying to
work out a method in the digital darkroom, and this technique seems to
make it easy to do that.

Joel W.