Re: [OM] Using VS exposure lock for "minimum exposure black"

Subject: Re: [OM] Using VS exposure lock for "minimum exposure black"
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:25:52 -0500
> I ran across this interesting technique:
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157608204093047/

That is pretty close to my own technique. I use the frame gaps to set
black point for negatives. To set white point when profiling a roll of
film, I will use the leader end which gets exposed to light. That, of
course, would be most applicable if I'm letting Vuewscan process the
image, instead of doing just a "raw scan".

Truth be told, this is also how I meter negatives with the RH Designs
ZoneMaster II. I will spot meter the clear base and the leader. This
extablishes the limits of the film. This gives me what the absolute
maximum contrast setting required for the film to protect both
highlights and shadows. I then know that no matter how contrasty the
image is, I won't blow either end. As far as actually setting
exposures and final contrast it is worthless knowledge, other than you
know where the thresholds are. But if my high/low meter reading
indicates that a grade 2 is my limit, if the image is extremely
contrasty, if I go harder than grade 2, then I will have to start
jumping through hoops to protect either end.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx