Re: [OM] A Different Flight of Fancy - Welcome back into the fold?

Subject: Re: [OM] A Different Flight of Fancy - Welcome back into the fold?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:26:52 -0500
> I have to admit that I'm getting close.  If the rebate was running for
> another month I might do it.

No fears. Price drops and rebates will kick in as soon as the demand
starts to wane. I've lived without the OM-D so far. A couple more
months won't hurt me.

> The only serious objection I've been able
> to make to the OM-D is the minimum 200 ISO which seriously complicates
> daylight fill flash.

Yes. It does complicate matters a bit. This was also my clue that Sony
was the manufacturer way back with the specs were announced prior to
product availability. Oh, and a couple other hints...

> ...I've been surviving quite well with my Tamron 24-135mm as my
> all-purpose walk-around lens.  135mm sometimes comes up short but not
> enough to force me to carry a longer and heavier lens.  The 12-50 comes
> up even shorter still and f/6.3 at the not-so-long long end is
> uninspiring.  However, it may be practical to carry two lenses around
> with the OM-D.  I don't find it practical with the 5D.

Never long enough, never short enough. I think that's the mantra of
all photographers when talking about lenses. Oh, and never bright
enough.

The Zuiko 35-80/2.8 zoom is still hanging in there as the
lens-bar-none, but it is most certainly not wide enough nor long
enough. It sure is HEAVY enough, though. However, instead of
complaining about it, or fighting it, I've learned to appreciate the
strengths of the lens and exploit it accordingly. It really is about
right for most events. The 35-80 range is like having a normal-wide
and a normal-tele. Inotherwords, it is a normal lens that allows you
to adapt to your position closer or farther. It is the perfect match
to Portra 400. I'd happily shoot weddings all the time with that
combination if I could.

So, where does the OM-D possibly fit in my grand scheme of things? I
would say that a follow up trip to Isle Royale would be pretty much
perfect with Moose's kit.

AG
--
Ken Norton