Re: [OM] They say it is the bottom of the real-estate market

Subject: Re: [OM] They say it is the bottom of the real-estate market
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:46:41 -0500
> >From the beginning.  I've been accused of causing exhaustion just to read
> the whole thing so take it in small bits!

I grazed my way through that field. At some point I was risking
toppling over with my feet pointed skyward.

You guys are much braver than me.

We've been watching the rebuilding of this one house here in town. The
thing was nothing special, just an ugly two-story cube-shaped house in
a deteriorating part of town. For years, it has been turned into a
typical crackhouse. Then last year a tree fell on it trashing half the
roof. Water poured in for months. The whole thing is a bulldozer
wating to happen. So, somebody decided to remodel it. Honestly, there
wasn't enough there to remodel. The labor costs have long since
exceeded whatever material reuse savings. In the end, they'll still
end up with an old house in a bad part of town that costs as much to
remodel as if they built a brand new one of equivalent quality.
HOWEVER, unlike Tina's house, this one possesses absolutely no
coolness factor. And it's just going to be a rental property again.
Roughing in a house is the least costly part of construction.
Rebuilding that disaster of a house meant that everything had to be
stripped completely down to the "roughed in" state. Crazy.

My initial thoughts about Tina's project kinda went along these lines.
More than once, as I looked through the blog I asked myself "why?".
Then as things started getting finished up, I could see why. That
house is charming and beautiful.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx