[OM] My second photographic session with OM-D E-M5 and ZD 45mm F1.8

Subject: [OM] My second photographic session with OM-D E-M5 and ZD 45mm F1.8
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:12:38 -0400 (EDT)
> Dear Ken,
>
> I have seen Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 zoom quality and it has tons of
chromatic
> aberration! It's too expensive and focal length is very limited. I
don't
> like it at all.

Hmm,
That lens does not have bad reviews--though haven't seen that many yet.
I wonder what body it was tested on? Panny designs the lenses as does
Oly to be used with encoded metadata to correct aberrations. I am
fairly sure the geometric distortion IS
corrected with Panny lens on Oly body but NOT the CA. In fact Oly
doesn't fix the CA in the in cam JPEGS
on the 12-50 which is quite notcable esp on the wide-end.  Jeff K has
noted that in a post or two. I wondered why DXO did not list the 12-50
in their upcoming August update but the 12-50 suddenly appeared on a
soon to happen July lens module. I suspect they will support the Panny
12-35 at some point soon on the OM-D. With enough horsepower one can
keep DXO running and PS and make a preset for a group of images in DXO
using the converter/aberration correction and some deconvolution to
taste, shut off stuff that messes them up and export a tiff to PS.

It seem MFT lends itself to lens design (to keep them small) which
incorporate intentional residual aberrations that are of a sort as to
be easy to fix in post. In fact unless one uses the most plain vanilla
converter that doesn't use the metadata, one would never see them.

Keep 'em small in MFT as long as final IQ is excellent, Mike

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-x-vario-12-35mm-f-2-8-lens-review-19240