Re: [OM] Rodents and plans - two thirds of the equation

Subject: Re: [OM] Rodents and plans - two thirds of the equation
From: philippe.amard@xxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:28:19 +0200 (CEST)
De : "Ken Norton " <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
A : "Olympus Camera Discussion" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Copie à :

 Philippe wrote:
> Thanks it makes sense - and of course you had to try and make your own
> experience :-)

I learn concepts by observation. I learn reality by doing. When things
don't happen the way I expect them to, I have to determine why and
engineer the solution.

> Love/hate relationship = true here too.
> I went full frame 18 months ago, have sold some OLY lenses, but still keep
> the L1 for what it's (much) better at :-)

There are few things it is actually "better at" than other cameras,
but it does handle quite differently.

Well, it was the first one offering altogether LV, IOS, multiple exposure,
focus confirmation with non native lenses, and a wonderful self-cleaning
mechanism; I have NEVER cleaned the senosr nor felt the need to, go figure.

Also, thanks to the small mirror flipping sideways and the amazing OIS on the
D-Vario-Elmarit, you can get down to 1/6th and still have a fairly sharp
picture - try this on current offerings ...
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/UK+tour+2008/To+Ric+-+Bowling+over+in+EdinboRrough+_1+sur+1_-2.jpg.html
In this shot, think of the photogs posture when shooting, can you be more
"instable" ???

I'm glad I got it, no regrets there. Would I suggest it to anybody else? No.
It's a shame that one
more firmware update didn't happen. The camera really could stand one
more refinement.

Noise at 400, and over ...

The built-in flash, with the bounce position is just
so wonderful. What a brilliant thing.

Agreed, I wonder why no other brand copied this, and why they gave up the idea
on their later cams.

The camera really is a classic.
The levers and switches are incredibly efficient.

One of those cameras you can intuitively handle unnoticed in the dark, so rare
today.

My take is that Pana only regressed since - the G1 which we also own but rarely
use, was already climbing a step down towards gimmick cameras.
Best
Philippe

AG

--