Re: [OM] Rodents and plans - two thirds of the equation

Subject: Re: [OM] Rodents and plans - two thirds of the equation
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:54:05 -0500
> So the question is why shoot BW JPEG and lose flexibility when the
> conversion works excellently from the raw? :-)

Primary reason is that I actually like the BW JPEG engine in the
DMC-L1. It's just a shame that it doesn't allow filter conversions. As
I did shoot RAW+JPEG, I do have the RAW file to work from, but having
that "guide image" is quite helpful. When I'm chimping the image
on-location (or using live-view), I do compose the image differently
in B&W than I do if the screen is showing me color. It's that
visualization thing that bites me.

I do have a love-hate relationship with the DMC-L1. It's a great
camera in so many regards, but then it completely pounds sand in
others. For example, last night I was shooting the Northern Lights.
The screen kicks on during the dark-frame exposure. Thanks a lot for
ruining my night vision.

Still, in the end, this was all about experimentation and self-learning.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx