Re: [OM] A Question About Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] A Question About Batteries
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 06:26:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> You didn't say if you got Wein cells or hearing aid batteries.
> It's probably plenty bothersome but you can extend the battery
> life by re-covering the air holes when the batteries are not
> in use.  But as I recall uncovering the holes doesn't give you
> instant power.  You have to wait a while until the batteries
> "boot up".
>
> I also seem to recall that Wein cells last longer than hearing
> aid batteries by virtue of having fewer air holes.  I suppose
> you could reduce the number of air holes in hearing aid
> batteries but that would probably be fussy work to do so
> without introducing an insulator between the batteries.

     What I got was hearing aid batteries, which generally cost $1 or less
each.  Those Wein cells cost $5 and more, even on eBay.  I'm going to see how
long these last before venturing to make my own silver oxide adapter.  For the
time being, I'm happy to have a working Luna Pro with the spot meter attachment.

Chris