Re: [OM] OM-on topic, but off site

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-on topic, but off site
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:53:25 -0500
> I would hope in the hallowed halls of Olympus that there's an OM-1 in a
> glass case at the front entrance beside the smiling countenance of
> Maitani-san.

Yup. Inside the lobby for visitors to see. All vestiges of OM have
been banned from the rest of the premises for at least 10 years. The
body design of the OM-D was done by Cosina, which still has
photographers working for them.

;)

In all seriousness, there is probably two or three people in
engineering that still have an OM body on the shelf at home. Olympus
also maintains an archive of, I believe, every OM system component
ever built--including the ones never brought to market. So, to do the
OM-D design, it was an easy thing to pull one out of the archive, do
the measurements and get some overall design ideas from and then put
it back.

But, from the evidences of the products produced, I think it is safe
to say that the culture of Maitani is long long long gone. The OM-D is
close, but...

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx