Re: [OM] More OT BW

Subject: Re: [OM] More OT BW
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 10:21:57 -0500
Thanks Michael.  I always tried to develop 35mm BW as "normal -1"  which
produces a softer negative.  The thing I did not like about that is you
have to print on a harder paper and this accentuates grain.  These
problems are still evident but a bit different in scanning and there are
resources to deal with excessive grain and other problems.

Do you have the American or the European form of HC110?

I am interested in working with higher dilutions of (American) HC110.
The unofficial dilution H is twice the dilution of B.  I need to
experiment more, but it seems as though development is not quite linear
with dilution H.  If you merely double the time for dilution B, the
negative might be a little softer than one might have expected.  On my
next roll of Acros, I am going to give it a 20% increase.  I was clued
in to the non-linearity before this last roll and increased development
time by 10%.

HC110 is pretty economical too.  I mix 9.5 ml of the syrup to 600 ml of
water for a one-shot solution.  At that rate I can almost develop 50
rolls of 120 per bottle.

It's a lot of fun when it sort of works.

Joel W.