Re: [OM] IMG: Francisca Maldonar

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Francisca Maldonar
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 16:46:10 -0500
> Try adding some Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE) or "clarity" in ACR.

Once in a while, I monitor a forum for graphic artists. One thing that
comes up in random conversations is the use of LCE and "Clarity" in
photos that photographers up placed up on stock. Turns out that what
they are running into is that this adjustment is making their lives a
little miserable because they also tend to use the same techniques.
Unfortunately, if the image has already been done, when they try doing
it again (flavoring it to the aesthetic of the publication in
question, that the image ends up getting some nasty traits.

This reminds me of my many years in the pro-audio and broadcast
industry. A company (TC Electronics) produced the "Finalizer". This
processor was able to maximize sound levels and give the audio a lot
of punch. Unfortunately, the resulting audio sounded great to the
producers of the song/commercial/movie/video, but then it simply
trashed the audio processing algorithms that broadcasters used. Also,
if the list of songs was sent to the mastering house, the mastering
engineer couldn't put his/her own touches on the songs because the
audio was already trashed. It took several years to sort that out.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx