Re: [OM] (OM) OT Tina's scanning settings for K64 slides

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Tina's scanning settings for K64 slides
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 07:33:12 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> While watching the various examinations of Tinas scans, and suggestions
> offered, I wonder (again) about the reflection of blue sky in very dark
> shiny
> hair, and how much is a legitimate representation of the truth.
>
> Also, the degree of saturation of brown in skin which is habitually
> exposed a
> lot to the sun. See below. The last one from Moose seems to have lost most
> saturation, which surprises me.
>
> To what degree is the acceptance dependent on Tins'a memory of what the
> colour seemed to be?  See ..

That was my first suggestion for Tina but I don't trust my memory much. As
it is slide just see how the resulting scan compare with the original, it is
just that simple. Of course slide can also fade but it is a good starting
point.

If Tina kept all raw scans, it is possible to recover the original without
rescan them. The problem is finding the right software and setting. I like
Vuescan just for negative as it is able to scan with ZERO adjustment, the
presets for film type is not usable at all, it just make thing worse. I
don't even use white and black points.

The test scan from Moose look difficult to me (it is just me) as a starting
point for adjustment.

I started to love the 5D II copying workflow, just finished over 500 slides
in two days, they all look great!

C.H.Ling